Driving to Key West

Amid all the Thanksgiving posts I offer you a tropical paradise! 
Travel Tip #1 Vsit Key West in November.  The weather was ideal.  

 The scenery was spectacular while driving down through the keys.  This one and the one below are straight our of the camera.


We got out between islands to drink in the view and while everyone was on the bridge I clambered down a steep hill on a well worn pathway to capture this shot.
Travel Tip #2 Look for unusual angles for your photos




There were cruise ships peeking out from in between ancient buildings.



The taxi's were flamingo pink and they were everywhere!
Travel Tip #3 Pay attention to the unusual.  It's surprising how many travelers notice and respond to something familiar rather than unique.




Everywhere you looked it was a postcard



There were no end to the extraordinary places you could visit.
Travel Tip #4 Always stop and read Historical Markers!  They are a wealth of information and you don't have to pay admission to get it!


Everyone gathered at Mallory Square to capture the sunset.  It's a daily event and the area is filled with vendors to provide food and drinks and actors and acrobats performing for tips.
Travel Tip #5 Ask the locals what is special to see in their town.


The next morning I woke up and my view from the hotel balcony  was glorious.  It was early morning but the sun was already up.


The beaches are lovely...notice the lone dreamer, sitting below the palm tree.


I wished for a better view of the lighthouse, you can see the top and bottom but the middle is hidden behind the lushness.  


This was an exciting place!  Imagine!!!
Travel Tip #6 Get out of the car when you see something unusual or interesting.  Especially if there is a crowd.



Another reminder of how far south we were.  Highway 1 ends here!

It runs 2,377 miles (3,825 km), from Fort Kent, Main to Key West, Florida


The drive home afforded colossal sights for tourists
Travel Tip #7 Don't believe everything you see! 
Found at Key Largo

Found at Pigeon Key 
One of the original cars from the railroad that once connected the keys.

A simple canal out to the Atlantic


And I couldn't resist taking this as we drove towards the mainland.  What? Why? you might ask?  
Where else would you find the cement wall between lanes carefully painted an aqua marine blue?
Attention to detail folks.  It sets the stage coming down and makes you wistful going back.  

I hope this isn't my last visit through the Keys.


Travel Tip review:


Travel Tip #1 Vsit Key West in November
Travel Tip #2 Look for unusual angles for your photos
Travel Tip #3 Pay attention to the unusual.
Travel Tip #4 Always stop and read Historical Markers!
Travel Tip #5 Ask the locals what is special to see in their town.
Travel Tip #6 Get out of the car when you see something unusual or interesting. 
Travel Tip #7 Don't believe everything you see! 





Comments

Jill said…
Love it - we went to Florida two years ago - hope to get back again soon.... Beautiful pics..
Cheapchick said…
Lovely photos! The Keys are one place on my wish list to go!
Vanessa said…
I went to Key West with some friends, loved it :) Recognized your first photo immediately. I want to head back, I missed so many sights, like the sunset with performers. I think it'a busy and touristy all year, but I need to head back. Have fun! :D
Lola said…
Many thanks for stopping by my blog!

Such an interesting post – great pics that brought back wonderful memories of a Greyhound trip I made years ago around the USA, Canada & Mexico via Key West. Lovely times!

Have a great weekend & Happy Thanksgiving!

Visiting from Rednesday
oh how dreamy! the Keys is one of my dream destinations jeanne. u are right everything there looks right out of a postcard and that... HUGE lobster! happy thanksgiving!
Paulette said…
I have visited the Keys once and it was something else. Beautiful photos. Glad to have you back blogging. Happy Thanksgiving.
I love the Keys as well. It is truly like nowhere else on earth.
I love it!
Wishing you a blessed and happy Thanksgiving weekend.
Hugs,
Patti
Unknown said…
What lovely pictures! I've never been to the Keyes, but would love to someday.
Gemma Wiseman said…
What a stunningly beautiful place! If it's a place with water or mountains or desert, I'm intrigued! Gorgeous photos!
MsRay said…
I've been to the Keys a few times but only as far as the Seven Mile Bridge. I hope to visit Key West one day. My friends say it's a lot of fun there.
SmilingSally said…
Oops! You forgot to link into Blue Monday. Please place a link to Blue Monday on your post so that others can find us. Then return to link in again with Mr. Linky. You can find the code when you click on the blue bird located in my sidebar.

http://smilingsally.blogspot.com

Sally
SmilingSally said…
Thank you.

Happy Blue Monday, Jeannie.
Pie said…
Beautiful photos. I played too. Mine are here and here.

Popular posts from this blog

Future Non Scary Trunk or Treat Ideas

Disney World's Polynesian Resort Hotel

James' Summer Plans