While painting the front door I had an idea that I could use leftover paint to touch up the stone that was so discolored in the front of the house. We moved in a few months ago and the discolored stones were a thorn in my side. I thought maybe lightly brushing some orange on them would mask the discoloration. But first I wanted to wash off dust and dirt.
To my surprise, the black was a moss buildup and probably blackened from the traffic fumes over the last twenty five years. It actually scrubbed off pretty easily. Before I got too far, I ran in and got my camera to document the difference.
I was using a stiff brush, fairly good sized. Have you noticed we still have falling leaves!!
When I was finished I got the camera and admired my work, but noticed how black it still was in between the stones. I needed a smaller brush, so got an old toothbrush out and scrubbed in between.
Wow! I'm happy with that! I could brush more and spend another day or two, but I actually like some of the mossy patina. I am just pretty happy with the days work as it is. I didn't have to brush on any paint at all on the stones to clean up this area.
Step II of my Spring Fling is completed.