Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Miniature Gardens

I tried my hand at a couple of miniature gardens.  One is in a large pot outside my patio door.  It started out as a moss garden and I happily found rocks and branches and arranged them.  Then I had to break off a branch of a Schefflera in the front garden.  The branch was so large I didn't want to just toss it away so I stuck it in the soil  in my moss garden to enjoy until it died.  Much to my surprise, it rooted and is now thriving. A feathery plant took root and some clover, so it is much more attractive than when it was only mossy items.

The cute bowl I purchased while in South Carolina did indeed become a tiny birdbath.  Instead of being a birdbath though, it is a place for the tiny frogs who found their way into this garden.  How appropriate! 



The other tiny garden is much smaller, measuring only 8 inches in diameter and it resides indoors 



It boasts a double walkway, one leading to a "salt celler" pond, the other leading to a rock sculpture where a treasure of clustered opals have been gifted to the gods by unknown fairies. 

 Where the path joins I've placed tiny seashells I picked up at Honeymoon Beach against a large multi colored shell.  The plants are cactus that thrive on neglect and yes, they are actually growing.  I see little buds on the tips.  

These two experiments were fun but we'll see how long they last!

Linking to:
Tell it to Me on Tuesday 
Show Me What Ya Got 
Be Inspired 
Trash to Treasure 
Raising Oranges

9 comments:

Erika said...

Oh Jeannie, this is very cute, it is small and looks awesome, did not know one could do it in such a small scale, this is a great idea, I will be trying it myself if you don't mind. Thank you for sharing.

Thrift Shopper for Peace said...

love the sea shells - i'm going to have to try that at my house!

toko baju muslim murah said...

This is a great posting It’s exactly what I was looking for. I like your article.

Jill said...

We are just in the process of getting our old birdbath filled with succulents, first time to try it so hope it works!!

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

that froggy bowl looks so at home in ur garden :)

Katie Goldsworthy said...

I love little mini gardens! So cute.

Thanks for sharing it.
--Katie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love your sweet little gardens!

Leslie @ ASG in the SLC said...

darling! you've added so much detail it's really very sweet!

PhillyGardens said...

Jeanne, as said before you have a great sensibility - ie you are a cheapskate (something to be admired - OBVIOUSLY) and you make interesting and beautiful things from your recycled treasures.

If only more were like you - keep the projects and photos coming!